Thursday, December 29, 2011

Dressing up

Dressing up- in whatever fashion, is a woman's prerogative. Of course, men scoff at how much time a woman could take in getting ready. It must be a vain pursuit to make oneself look pretty, right? Not really if you come to think about it.


Why do you dress? Is it to impress the person you are with/interested in? It is a lot more than that in reality. Lets, for arguments sake, assume that a woman is dressing up to impress her beau, a man. She dresses nice, wears nice makeup, jewelry- the works. So he looks at her and goes- oh wow, she looks so pretty. But then, he is looking at the whole package. Is he going to notice that she has artfully applied her eyeliner and curled her lashes? Would he really notice if she used a brown eyeliner as opposed to a black one? Would he notice the color co-ordination between her outfit and the purse? Chances are, most likely not. 


Then who are we getting ready for? Well for one, other women! Yes, that is true. It is the "duty" of other women to notice what kind of stockings you are wearing, the height of your heels, the shape of your eyebrows, how expertly you applied your makeup and so on. They would look at you, evaluate you and then talk about it- of course, they will. Other women will either learn from you or give you advice. A woman would definitely comment on your choice of eye shadow or eyeliner or something related to your appearance.. So leave it upto other ladies to critique your dressing up. 


But most of all, we do it for ourselves. I can not describe the joy and fun I derive when I make sure that everything is coordinated and it all comes together well. Dressing up unleashes my right brain- the creative part. I can play up with colors, make decisions on how I want to look today. Do I want to play up my lips or my eyes? Do I want to look bold or coy, shy or adventurous? The list goes on and on and a woman knows she can control this aspect of her looks depending on how she dresses. Isn't that just wonderful? To be able to define your mood and be what the occasion demands? Some might look at this as being too vain about looks but don't you think sweeties that it is a highly empowering process?  If I had a magic wand, I would make sure that each and every citizen of Mother Earth gets to express himself/herself/itself in the best possible way and I am sure all the conflicts will just melt away- and that is the world I dream of :)

No comments:

Post a Comment